Friday, August 10, 2007

lemon bars


Eve and I made lemon bars this morning for some new neighbors.
She was at Starbucks yesterday with a friend and they got a bad lemon bar. They came home and asked me to show how I make them. I adapted the recipe from a Crystal Sugar bag years ago.
It is difficult to bake in such warm weather; butter does not cooperate. But, they turned out pretty well.
I use my KitchenAid Mixer for both steps.

Lemon Bars

Crust:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
Mix to make crumbly. Press into ungreased 9 x 13 glass pan. Bake 350 degrees until light brown, about 10-12 minutes.

Filling:
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
the zest of one or two lemons (I use a microplane grater)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Pour over hot crust. Bake 20-30 minutes until filling is set.
Cool completely, dust with powdered sugar, cut into squares.

I love this recipe, and like to decorate them with some of our multitude of violets when I make them in the spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the recipient of some of your delicious lemon bars in the past, thank you for this recipe!

Sharon

Amy F. said...

Thanks for sharing this great recipe! I made them yesterday and they are so delicious.