Saturday, April 15, 2017

party line

I knew I wanted to make another version with the woven idea I did about 3 quilts ago, this time keeping it in all parallel lines and remember this block. It has one of the prints a bit narrower than the other, giving it the look of the spacing of telephone wires. Also, it is a rectangle which makes it an interesting block.

In 2014 I drafted this pattern and with 30's reproductions, made a top I named "party line" because it looked like the telephone wires before they all went underground. It is a childhood memory of riding along and watching the lines between the posts, following them up and down with my finger.
Our telephone was on a party line--at least 7 families on it at one time.
And, my mom was a switchboard operator--all the more reason to make another Party Line quilt!

Block finishes 9 by 10 1/2 inches
Prints cut: three 9 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, one 9 1/2 by 2 inches
Solids cut: three 9 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches

The second print rectangle is the 2 inch cut one.
I wait to press until I am ready to set--I press half of the blocks to the top and the other half of the blocks to the bottom, allowing the pieces to nest.

My pattern. Use at your pleasure

Henny at the switchboard.


3 comments:

julieQ said...

Another cool scrappy quilt! WE too had a party line...8 parties. Mrs. Osterhaus was on the line for every call, LOL!!! She was our neighbor, and needed to know everything we were talking about. She was a hoot!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great idea for a scrappy quilt!

Julierose said...

I L O V E this pattern--so simple yet so compelling...I've been sewing little squares for a long time (eons!!) and i need a break;000 love your blog hugs, Julierose