Sunday, November 11, 2018

WW I remembrance

Andy and  my grandfathers served in the Great War. Here are their photographs and stories.
WW I remembrance My grandfather, Jerry (Jurrien) Dykstra 
Born on a farm near Middleburg, Iowa.
Served in the Army during the Great War. Was put on a troop ship in New York Harbor having never fired a live round in training. They trained with wooden guns as ammunition was scarce. 
The ship never sailed because the armistice was signed.
He told his grandchildren that the Kaiser decided to surrender once he heard Jerry Dykstra was on his way.
Farmed with my grandmother, Cynthia Meerdink north of Hull.
Our son Paul Jurrien is named for my grandfather.

WW I remembrance 
Andy's grandfather, Andrew Cervasio. 
Born in Italy, emigrated to the United States at age seven and settled in New York. 
Served in the Navy during the Great War as a coal tender on troop ships crossing the Atlantic.
Attended the University of Michigan for engineering and became a construction estimator. 
Andy is named for his grandfather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Lynn. I am reading your blog. Very pretty scrap-quilts! Reading about your and Andy's grandfather. When did your great-great-parents emigrate to America? Quiltgreetings, Alice Roth (the Netherlands).