Friday, November 16, 2018

letterbox

I have made a quilt before with a more complicated letter box block. I think it is still a top and somewhere in my boxes.
This is a simpler letterbox.
At my quilt group my friend Erica showed a lovely one she made all in batiks. It made me think it would work well for the solids on prints series.
Maybe I'll make a batik one too.
Isn't this fox fabric great? I should share some with my quilting DeVos cousins. (DeVos means The Fox in Dutch).

Block finishes 6 by 12 inches.
Solid: one rectangle cut 2 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches
Print: two rectangles cut 2 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches, two rectangles cut 2 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches.

Setting
Can do so randomly
or
Sew into blocks of three, with two side by side and add on one on the end. This larger block comes to 12 inches by 18 inches finished.
Sew together into rows.
Flip rows so every other row starts with the added on block.

5 comments:

julieQ said...

Awesome scrappy idea!!!!

Rebecca said...

Lyn, You're amazing. What is that expression "a rolling stone gathers no moss" or"dust doesn't grow on her" I think I made the last one up.

Chantal said...

Gorgeous fox fabric. It's a very beautiful way to use up some ugly fabric among pretty ones. ;^)

darlynn said...

Lynn, you know I am a huge fan of your use of solids with prints!!!!
you have such a knack of combining the two fabrics to bring interest to a quilt
again, you do not disappoint.
thank you~

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to see another of your "scrappy block" quilt ideas. I have started a notebook to collect your designs. Thanks so much for sharing!!!