Wednesday, October 05, 2016

not-so-final end of the basket medallion sew-a-long, fourth border, something fishy


This last round had the theme "something fishy".
The round came as my semester was getting started so not much is done for it yet.

I have always thought the Old Gray Goose block (Nancy Cabot, 1933) looks like sea horses. I am working with a half block. A sample block 6 by 9 was way too big. Scaled to 3 by 6 inch size was much better.
When this current border is complete it will measure 66 inches. It isn't finished--beyond this border something else is needed. I don't know what yet.

Thank you, Lori at Humble Quilts and all the hosts for making this sew-a-long a successful project for so many of us! It has been a fun sew.

Wendy –http://theconstantquilter.blogspot.com/
Cynthia-http://wabisabiquilts.blogspot.com/
Cathy- http://wwwbiglakequilter.blogspot.com/
Katy- https://katyquilts.wordpress.com/
Lori- http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/


14 comments:

Sandi said...

Congratulations on a great interpretation! Sometimes coming up with the concept is the most difficult part.

Once my ideas came I managed to finish quickly. Have fun finishing it off.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I saw the sea horses right away--awesome idea! Your quilt looks great!

Chantal said...

Love the seahorses. They play very nicely with the rest of the quilt too. Congrats on this wonderful idea. ;^)

audrey said...

What a great border!

Nancy said...

What a fun quilt and border. I love that wide grey border and the sea horses are very fun. Like you, I need another border on my quilt, too.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Lori said...

It really is looking good!

Ruth said...

I love your rendition of the basket medallion! Very unique!

Cathy said...

I love your quilt. And yes they do look like seahorses. Hugs

Danice G said...

Beautiful quilt and fabrics. Hey, I also did seahorses :)

CecileD said...

The seahorses are a very good idea and your border looks beautifully with it !
Congrats for this finish ! :)

Karen said...

Definitely looks like Sea Horses. Creative border for your quilt.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Genius to use the Old Gray Goose block to depict sea horses. Your medallion is shaping up beautifully! Best wishes for the start of your semester!

Béa said...

Very beautiful & great idea.

Kaja said...

What a clever idea - this is looking absolutely lovely. I'll be interested to see what you decide on for the extra border too.