Monday, May 07, 2012

chocolate coconut bread

Chocolate coconut bread--makes 2 loaves

Cream together:
1 cup butter (do not use margarine or oil)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Add in:
4 eggs, one at a time
2 cups buttermilk (I usually make sour milk with 3-4 Tbsp cider vinegar and enough milk to make 2 cups)

Sift then add in just until mixed:
3 cups flour
1 cup cocoa--I like to use Hershey's Special Dark for this recipe--gives a beautiful color to the loaf
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder

Stir in:
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup chocolate chips

Grease two bread pans. Spread in batter. Bake 350 degrees for about a hour.
It is a bit tricky to get this just right for timing--too long and it will be too dry or burn.
If you make this in mini loaf pans, watch very carefully. If they do come out dry on the edges, wrapping as discussed below can help.

Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean.
Place pans on sides on cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
Remove bread from pans.
Cool completely.
Wrap in waxed paper or other wrap for at least 10 hours after they are cool to let moisture and flavor redistribute. Tastes better if you give it that long.

It is similar in flavor to a Mounds candy bar! This is my recipe--use and share and enjoy.

3 comments:

Jan said...

I made the chocolate coconut bread today--it is delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Glady said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I can't wait to try this bread. You are my kind of baker, I always use real butter. I even have some fresh eggs to use in the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this, Lynn!

Sharon