Sunday, December 18, 2011

my great grandfather with his haystacks

My great grandfather William Meerdink was well respected for his haystacks and had his portrait taken in front of them.
Monet could paint them but grandpa could build them!
(These stacks are actually grain stacks (oats) not haystacks.)
About 1920, Sioux County Iowa.

My sisters and I are working with our mother taking apart our parents' house as she moves to her assisted living apartment. Watch for our history in photographs over the next few days.

7 comments:

regan said...

What a wonderful picture....thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more! I love going through the photo boxes at antique shops....you see the most interesting things!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have never seen haystacks shaped like that. Looking forward to more photos.

slimjohnson said...

They're beautiful!

sewprimitive karen said...

I've never seen haystacks like that, either. What a wonderful photograph.

WhiteStone said...

Your old family photos are truly wonderful. In fact, so wonderful, I think you should add a watermark so nobody can steal them! This haystack photo is especially good.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures, Lynn!!

Sharon

Beth Dykstra Van Meeteren, EdD said...

One of my favorite pictures ever. Thanks for posting these Lynn.