Thursday, April 16, 2009

"not so straight, not so narrow"

An Iowa Quilt
Made from 70 6 1/2 inch plaid squares cut in half to 6 1/2 by 3 1/4 inches. 

Red strips in each row, cut 6 1/2 inches long: 2 cut 1 3/4", 2 cut 1 1/2", 2 cut 1 1/4", 1 cut 1". 
(I cut some 6 1/2 inch red strips then cut my little strips from them.) 

What I like about this quilt: 
The plaids recede to background and are not on a grid because of the uneven sizes of the red strips. 
But, because of planning and using the reds in equal numbers in each row, the rows stay the same length. 
Made commemorating marriage equity in Iowa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

take a peek at this picture for more inspiration on this "pattern/idea"

http://patsknittingandquilting.com/2009/images/april/saltwatertaffy.jpg

Carolyn in NC

Lynn Dykstra said...

This is amazing--I don't remember seeing this pattern before--thought it was my own idea, but I must have absorbed it somewhere!
Lynn