Thursday, March 16, 2006

flowers




My mother and I did handwork while we sat with my father in the hospital last week (knee surgery). I bound three quilts and she worked on a smocked blanket.
This quilt is for my sister Janna's birthday (and is 10 months late). My friend Erica had made a quilt with her florals--I really liked it and went to my pile of large scale florals. I took ideas from Stack a New Deck, but used my own methods.
I like how it turned out--I used a bit of fabric from my grandmother who died in 1948. She had just one grandchild at the time. Eventually there were 26 of us. I used some of that fabric in a quilt for my mother 5 years ago and plan to use the rest in one for my younger sister.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this pattern - simple but oh so effective. You made a gorgeous quilt with your florals :-)

Kairle Oaks said...

Very eye-catching! Nice work, Lynn.
Kairle

dot said...

Wonderful quilt. I would wait months to receive a special gift like this.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Beautiful!! So much to look at in this quilt..nice quilting too!

Bonnie

Laurie Ann said...

Your sister is going to love it. It is beautiful!

Laura said...

Lucky sister! It is a gorgeous quilt, she will love it!

Samantha said...

It looks wonderful, and how lovely to have fabrics with such family ties. Instead of the quilt being 10 monthslate, how about 2 months early?

Cher said...

this simple quilt-turned on point-just gives such a wow effect. I love the special fabrics in it too-I am sure your sister will cherish it whenever she receives it. thanks for sharing the story behind it. I hope your father recovers quickly..those surgeries are always tough to bounce back from. how nice to keep your mom company too.

Carolyn said...

What a striking quilt...you certainly do have a number of beautiful quilts!

Sarah said...

Lynn - I love this quilt! I may have to go dig out all my large florals!

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah

Judy said...

Beautiful Quilt Lynn. Simple and striking. I knew I needed to start collecting those florals for a reason! As if we ever need a reason to collect fabric!